For many, riding a motorcycle is more than a form of transportation; it is a way of life, with a sense of freedom and adventure. For some, motorcycles represent a greener form of transportation that pollutes much less than the SUVs and large sedans that blanket the Florida roadways.
Yet, motorists treat motorcyclists as though they are a nuisance or fail to appreciate the even greater dangers of tailgating, cutting off and running into a biker.
Motorcyclists have the same right to be on the road as motorists driving other types of vehicles and they deserve to feel as safe. After all, the phrase, “Look Twice and Save a Life” was coined for a reason! ALVAREZ GOWER INJURY LAW approaches every case with this fact in mind. Our law firm represents accident victims throughout Florida who are injured through no fault of their own.
According to recent statistics, Florida leads the nation in motorcycle accident fatalities. The Tampa Bay Area including Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco alone report an average of 75 motorcyclists killed annually- one every four days. And when bikers are involved in non-fatal crashes, the injuries are always traumatic and sometimes fatal. Motorcyclists are five times more likely to be injured and 25 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident than another person driving or riding in a car or other passenger vehicle, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Motorcyclists are exposed to more dangers in motor vehicle accidents, lacking the protective metal shell of a car and safety features like seat belts and airbags. Motorcycle accidents can easily result in catastrophic personal injuries such as broken bones, severe road rash, scarring, and neck and head injuries.
Common Causes of a Tampa Motorcycle Accident
The most common cause of a Tampa motorcycle accident is straying from the lane of travel or disobeying right of way laws. More fatal motorcycle accidents occur because of a head-on collision than any other cause. That can include a head-on crash on a two-way road or a situation where one vehicle turns in front of the other without having the right of way.
Other common causes of motorcycle accidents in Florida include:
- Poor weather conditions. Rain, road work debris, snow, or ice are among the most common.
- Failure to check blind spots.
- Door accidents such as when a driver opens their car door without check for oncoming traffic they can impede a biker’s path of travel.
- Overcompensating the front brake, which is when the front of the motorcycle stops too hard, the rider’s momentum can quickly throw them over their handlebars.
- Lane splitting or white lining, including cutting between slower vehicles across lanes. This is extremely dangerous and often leads to disastrous results.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that the vast majority of fatal motorcycle accidents involve at least one driver with a blood alcohol content.
- Road imperfections, potholes, or roadworks.
- Road rage.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to assert your right to just compensation. From the cost to repair or replace your bike to the costs of long term care from accident-related injuries, you may be entitled to a significant financial recovery, and the driver who hit you deserves to be held fully accountable.